At the core of our identity is a secure hope in the grace of God in Jesus Christ, a hope that, by the power of the Holy Spirit, empowers us to live lives of gratitude.
The mission of Chapel by the Sea is to reflect God’s love to all and to be a Christ-centered community church, open to everyone and to share Jesus’ message of grace, love, hope and forgiveness. We strive to be living examples of Christ through service in our local community and around the world.
Chapel by the Sea has a long history of ministry in Lincoln City and we are excited about our vibrant future. We come together to receive God’s refreshing love and go out to share that love in the world. We want to grow as friends and followers of Jesus, deepening our spiritual lives and participating in what God is doing in the world.
As a forgiven and forgiving family of faith, thankful for God’s mercy and grace, we welcome all and seek to share Jesus Christ who is our Savior and Lord.
Grateful for God’s saving grace and joyfully alive in Jesus Christ, our passion is to:
Love God and neighbor
Learn deeper faith and practice
Live fully in every season of life
An open invitation to participate with God
A deep connection with God and each other
The humble practice of walking in Jesus’ footsteps
Loving service to others
In 1935 several denominations expressed a desire in organizing a church in the Nelscott area of North Lincoln County on the Oregon coast. The matter was referred to the Oregon Council of Churches and on April 20, 1936 the committee decided the Presbyterians would head the development of a community church in partnership with the Episcopalians and Congregationalists.
The church was dedicated in Nelscott on June 13, 1937. and named; North Lincoln Community Presbyterian church.
In 1940 an addition of a dormitory was built on the property with a capacity to sleep 52. With this addition hosting retreats and conferences became a major ministry of the church attracting groups from all over the Northwest.
In December of 1948 the congregation voted to change the name of the church from North Lincoln Community Presbyterian to Chapel-by-the-Sea Presbyterian Church.
During the 1960’s Presbytery purchased 11 ½ acres of land on the east side of Highway 101, adjacent to SE 19th street with a vision of eventually building a new church facility. By the 1980’s it became clear the church in Nelscott needed repairs that were not cost effective so in 1981 a plan to build on the new property was approved. The building site and rough boundaries were established and the surrounding land which was determined not to be needed sold to raise funds for the new building.
The new building, while smaller than the original, was designed on one level with a large parking lot and portico to protect those being dropped off and picked up. The design of the facility took advantage of the beautiful wooded location with generous windows in the sanctuary.
The sanctuary was designed to accommodate 150 with chairs rather than pews to allow for flexibility. An adjacent kitchen allowed for easy access for coffee hour and special meals. The chairs could easily be rearranged, and tables added for special meals. A nursery with windows and a sound system at the back of the sanctuary allows families to hear the service. Two additional multi-purpose rooms were located off the sanctuary as well as a pastor’s office and study.
The Nelscott facility was decommissioned on December 8t, 1991 and the first service was held in the new building on December 15, 1991.
In 1998 the church sold 3 acres to the east of the building were sold to the Lincoln City Head Start Program where they now have a beautiful facility. The funds from the sale were used to reduce the amount owed on the ten-year note from the Synod of the Pacific which was used for construction of the church. In 1999 the church was gifted a modest house. The house was sold, and the proceeds enabled the church to retire the ten-year note six years early and Chapel by the Sea became debt free.
In 2006 a “Facility Expansion Task Force” was formed to guide the plan for expansion with a new multi-purpose room. The plan included an expanded kitchen, two ADA accessible restrooms, and a 2,750 sq.’ multi-purpose hall on the north side of the sanctuary. Excavation under the new hall provided the potential of an additional 1,500 square feet of classroom space in the future.
The Tarbell Family Foundation provided a $150,000 challenge grant towards construction, which was matched and exceeded by the congregation through gifts and loans, and a bridge loan was obtained to cover the remaining amount required for construction. In 2009 the congregation was granted a loan from the Synod of the Pacific. This loan, called a James M. Muzzy loan, provided funds needed to retire the bridge loan and repay loans made by members of the congregation.
Construction began in August 2007 and the completed remodel was dedicated on August 24, 2008.
The new hall was built with a focus on appropriate acoustics for hosting music and fine arts events as a witness and outreach to the Lincoln City community.
The hall, which has become known as the fellowship hall, has provided a space for many gatherings from after worship coffee and potlucks, musical programs, art shows, community outreach educational opportunities, to a home for Lincoln City Young Life and Wyld Life programs.
Some highlights from the new hall included:
Chapel by the Sea Presbyterian church has grown through the grace of God from a small community church in partnership with two other congregations to the vibrant church found today. The church has a growing connection in the community and in the world. Locally the church supports Head Start, the Warm and Dry homeless program, Young Life and Wyld Life. Internationally we support mission programs in Thailand and Bangladesh.
(include photo, short bio, email link)
Rev. Mark and Rev. Wendy are the new Co-Pastors at Chapel By the Sea, Presbyterian, PC (USA), in Lincoln City, Oregon. Wendy and Mark moved to Lincoln City and started their call on November 1, 2017. Previously they were serving three congregations known as Trinity Parish in Western Indiana.